Known for its cleansing, purifying and renewing properties, magnesium is a natural relaxant responsible for over 300 chemical reactions in the body Our need for magnesium has never been so great. With modern diets and lifestyles resulting in drastically poor magnesium intake, it is estimated that 70% of all adult’s experience low levels of essential magnesium. You may have heard of magnesium before, but do you know how it can benefit your health? It’s more than you would think
- It can improve your sleep Looking to get a better night’s sleep? Studies have shown that when your magnesium levels are too low, it makes it harder to stay asleep. Magnesium is needed by the body to maintain a state of complete rest and is an important factor in how our body manages its sleep cycle. This powerful mineral promotes better sleep by stimulating the GABA levels in your brain, when GABA levels are low, the brain can get stuck in the ‘on’ position making it impossible to relax.
- It will help you feel more energised Low levels of magnesium have been linked to low energy production. Essential magnesium helps to create the energy we need by activating adenosine tri-phosphate (ATP) which is the fundamental unit of energy within the body. Without proper levels of magnesium, your nutrients cannot be metabolised into energy.
- It can help with aches and pains As a natural relaxant, magnesium works alongside calcium to help regulate muscle movement. An insufficient amount of magnesium can result in a buildup of lactic acid, leaving your body open to muscle tiredness and soreness. Magnesium also stimulates the activity of cells critical to bone formation with magnesium deficient bones being larger, more brittle and susceptible to fractures.
- It will boost your mood Hormones such as serotonin and melatonin are regulated by magnesium, which are key for boosting your mood and helping you sleep. Without enough magnesium, it could make you feel down and irritable.
- It can improve your skin Magnesium helps to achieve beauty from the inside out. This powerful mineral flushes out heavy toxins from the body allowing PH levels in the skin to be restored, leaving skin with a replenished and healthy glow.